Saturday 22 February 2014

Perspectives

Okay, so I promised Jesse I would talk about Bush School, the school camp we just went on from Monday to Friday, and I guess I promised anyone else who is reading this I would talk about my senpai or movies or something. But on Bush School you could see many more stars than you can where I live and it got me thinking, so this is one of those posts about random cool stuff.

So on Bush School we went on two night walks along the beach as a year group. We walked for about 15-20 minutes and then we would stop for about 5-10. Then we would walk back. In the 5-10 minutes one time my friends Ruby and Jesse and I lay down in the sand and looked at the stars. Ruby's asked me a few times before what constellations I know, because she knows that I'm interested in space. I always have to tell her that I don't really know any constellations except for the obvious ones like Orion. And people wonder why that is because, you know, someone who likes space is sure to know lots of constellations, right?

But I don't, because I'm not interested in Earth and humanity's perspective of the stars. I guess I'm more interested in astrophysics, and astronomy without having our geographical position in space forced onto our perspective of the stars. Those constellations don't really exist outside our Solar System, and I don't see why our view of the universe guides our entire thinking of it.

Anyway, so I came back home from Bush School yesterday, and today I was catching up on all of the YouTube videos I missed out on while I was away. I realised on Vsauce's channel that a couple of days before I left he had uploaded a video about distortions, and the ideas I had always held were actually presented in that video. I though that was a pretty interesting coincidence, and he explains it a little bit more eloquently that I have in this post, so here's the video, and if it doesn't work, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ0hS7l9ckY&feature=c4-overview&list=UU6nSFpj9HTCZ5t-N3Rm3-HA

You might want to check out the video if you're interested in these types of things, but again, I'm sorry Jesse for not posting about Bush School completely and I'm sorry if anyone else who read this found it boring. But then again, It's my blog and I'll cry if I want to.

"One of the most poetic facts I know about the universe is that essentially every atom inside your body was once inside a star that exploded. Moreover, the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than did those in your right. We are all, literally, star children, and our bodies are made of stardust."
-Lawrence Krauss, Theoretical Physicist

1 comment:

  1. That quote at the bottom reminded me of this thing in tumblr: if we are all essentially stars, then there must be someone who also came from the same star as you and maybe that's why you're attracted to some people intensely (thus the whole idea of soul mates). I don't explain it very well, but ye. But that's pretty interesting, your idea of space and your interest in it without having to know about 'humanity's view of constellations'.

    Thanks for writing! :D

    ReplyDelete